Monday, June 27, 2005

Bill C-38

I'm not sure how you all feel about Bill C-38, it's a topic most Canadians would hope to disappear than talk about. In my opinion, the definition of marriage is between a man and a woman. No government can change that definition even if it is passed in The House of Commons. Sadly, it appears that the bill will pass with more votes coming from the other parties. I find it hard to accept because many MP's want to take their summer vacation and get to their cottages and play golf. The whole process feels rushed.

We have people living in Common Law arrangements today with all rights similar to married couples. I'm not sure why same-sex marriages require to fall under the definition of marriage (instead of calling it a Union or Partnership) and creating this process to re-define the term. Born as a Catholic, I am like most that do not practice as much as I should, but still believe that we should not re-define this term. If we have people living together in common law situations with rights, then this should be enough for all of us to accept if same-sex couples would like an acknowledgement of their union.

I believe we need a public vote (as in the past for other issues), and see what Canadians want. This is not like the US civil rights or women's rights movement, this is changing the definition of marriage to all Canadians. Even with amendments to the legislation for churches and others, bottom line it needs to be fair and equal across the board. This cannot just be a win for same-sex couples and the rest of Canadians have to accept it. In the long run, I can't see how this will be good if not everyone in the country accepts it. I believe in equal rights, you just don't need to re-define the term marriage for us all.

This is just my 2 cents and like me, you get to respond with your 2 cents in the comments area for this post.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Hammer said...

Yo, Darko. Not that I'm disputing your opinion (in agreement actually) but common law rights are not the same as marriage rights. Marriage is governed by Family Law that offers (supposedly) equal rights to both parties (unless children are involved). There is no Provincial or Federal law governing common law, you walk out with what you walked in with and if there are any financial disputes it would be covered by Trust Law but that only looks at facts and not inequities. Unfortunately, the two are not the same. Marriage evens the playing field. TB

12:15 PM  
Blogger jonnie darko said...

My mistake, I've been watching the process on tv and I suppose the MP's are talking out of their ass. They claimed that it was the same thing and that's where the basis of my comment came from.

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home